Redhat 8

Steven Farlie steven.farlie at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 14 13:29:41 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 11:11, Terence Kearns wrote:
> I've just been to their website and I've had a quick look at the
feature
> set and viewed their flash presentation/preview (which is worth
checking
> out) and it just looks like another basic increment in the RH
evolution.
> The feature list of what's new is remarkable unremarkable. It looks
like
> they came up with a new desktop theme and made it a complete distro
> version upgrade. I suppose they're just doing what they've always
done,
> and that's continuing to open up the Linux platform (a bit more) to
the
> masses.

Well I just moved from 7.3 to 8.0 and I think there is enough there to
make it 8.0 instead of 7.4. The packages have changed a lot, GNOME went
from 1.4 to 2, Mozilla is 1.0.1 and OpenOffice is now included. The
fonts are very pretty right out of the box too.

> I just hope that their Bluecurve GUI isn't some sort of proprietary
> thing. For instance, ppl should be able to install it on any other
> distro (should they care to) with no strings attached (ie, it should
be
> standards based). If it isn't, then it's a step in a very bad
direction.

So far as I can see bluecurve is just a set of themes. There are
bluecurve themes for GTK, QT, xmms, gdm, nautilus, etc. All themed
applications use the bluecurve theme by default, so the UI has a nice
and consistent look and feel. But you can change the theme easily (go to
Preferences->Theme for the GTK one). The menus are now using generic
names instead of program names (with some exceptions). For example in
Sound & Video we have "Audio Player", "CD Player", "Sound Recorder" and
"Volume Control" instead of XMMS, gnome-cd, gnome-sound-recorder and
gnome-volume-control. I don't know what happens to the menus under KDE,
I haven't installed that yet.

> As far as personal taste goes with Bluecurve, it looks like they are
> evolving towards the Mac about 10 years ago. Well maybe that's a bit
> unfair but that's just my opinion.

And I have a ten year old mac running in front of me right now. The look
is completely different. Also note that System 7 fits in 1800K of RAM,
and Redhat 8 should not be used without at least 64M. I would say it is
closer to Windows XP than System 7.

--
Steven