Linux gaining acceptance in Canberra

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Mon Oct 14 13:03:50 EST 2002

Howard Lowndes (lannet at lannet.com.au) wrote:
> Get real, there are egos involved here.  NOIE are essentially government
> suits, they only like to talk to other suits.  They may be prepared to
> talk with acknowledged Linux experts from ANU, but the rest of the list -
> I think not.

I've actually met and had a brief conversation with the Steve Alford
mentioned in the article.  He appeared to be the kind of manager that
every shitkicker dreams of being able to work for - committed and
focused yet approachable and unbiased.  Basically, someone who just
wants to get the job done and is able to pull together the resources to
do it and do his bit too.

In any case, if nobody approaches NOIE then we'll never know if *they*
actually wanted to hear from us or not.  As our servants, they actually
have an obligation to ;)

--
Matt