Redhat 8

Terence Kearns tkearns at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 14 11:11:26 EST 2002

That's a little vague don't you think? you want to let us in on what the
criticisms are :-)
It may be a good idea to touch it first so that you can make an informed
judement (in a nice test environemnt ;-)

RH have a reputation for releasing sofware before it is stable. Perhaps
we need to wait for the .3 release again ;-)

I've just been to their website and I've had a quick look at the feature
set and viewed their flash presentation/preview (which is worth checking
out) and it just looks like another basic increment in the RH evolution.
The feature list of what's new is remarkable unremarkable. It looks like
they came up with a new desktop theme and made it a complete distro
version upgrade. I suppose they're just doing what they've always done,
and that's continuing to open up the Linux platform (a bit more) to the
masses.

I just hope that their Bluecurve GUI isn't some sort of proprietary
thing. For instance, ppl should be able to install it on any other
distro (should they care to) with no strings attached (ie, it should be
standards based). If it isn't, then it's a step in a very bad direction.
As far as personal taste goes with Bluecurve, it looks like they are
evolving towards the Mac about 10 years ago. Well maybe that's a bit
unfair but that's just my opinion.