Debian & Intel 82562ET Ethernet Controller

Mark Paine mark at paineless.id.au
Sun Oct 13 22:17:32 EST 2002

Just got a new PC, which uses a Gigabyte GA-8IEX motherboard with an
onboard Intel Ethernet controller (82562ET).  In the process of
installing Debian Woody onto it (with the bf24 kernel image), and it
does not appear to recognise the controller.  Did a little bit of
research before hand, and my understanding was that the eepro100 module
would work with it.  Doing a modconf and selecting that module, it
returns an error which basically says that it can't find the controller.

Doing a lspci shows the controller there although it is unrecognised ie
no text description saying in detail what it actually is.  Doing a
search on the kernel source, and the controller is mentioned in the
pci_ids.h include file (on a 2.4.19 kernel source tree).  What makes it
even stranger is hopping over to Intel to see about their Linux drivers,
and the readme for their Pro/100 family of adapters does not even
mention this chip. However, going via a different path on their site you
end up with the e100 driver....

So, is this chip supported? If so which driver works with it (yeah I
know I could download the Intel driver, but I'm being a bit lazy at the
moment and I thought that the standard linux driver would have supported
it?  Or is it a case, that the chip is so new (which I don't think it
is), that a more recent kernel than 2.4.18 is required?

Mark P.
--
.sig - TBA
CBR AU