Linux modems

Rodney Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Thu Oct 10 18:13:56 EST 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:16, ALi J wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:56:58 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "ALi.J" <aj2468au at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Linux modems
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
>
> Hi guys
> I have problem making a dial up connection with
> internet.After searching around and looking for the
> problem, I found out that most internal modems don't
> work with linux.Well my modem is internal and I think
> thats why , I  am not able to make a dial up
> connection.
> I was wondering if that is true?

It will be for most internal modems.  Linmodem HOWTO & Rob Clark's site:
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc give the picture - unfortunately it does not
cover models available in Oz very well.

> Does anyone know where can I get a modem that works
> with linux?

Yes -  Netcomm IN5699, one of which is sending this to you via Linux,  are
fairly common at Computer Fairs.  A few other internal modem chipsets are
reported to work, but I don't know the brand/models of modems using them.

However, to get an IN5699 working you will need:

	the Lucent linmodem package compiled for your distribution	(visit
http://www.heby.de/ltmodem)

AND

	the full kernel source (all 100 + MB) installed on your Linux box

> By the way  , is internal modem same as software modem

No - a few PCI modems are part or full hardware modems.  (the IN5699 is
part hardware, which is why it still needs a software package)

> and external modem , same as hardware modem?

Again No - many external USB modems are software.  EverythingLinux have some
(fairly expensive) models that work with Linux.

Rod Peters