Book-keeping packages

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Oct 10 18:29:27 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 04:42:34PM +1000, Bob Edwards wrote:

> I have been researching various money/financials/book-keeping
> packages on freshmeat and was wondering if anyone on this list
> has any comments on any of the available packages (ie. actual
> experience, knows someone who has, read a recent article etc.).

I'd have to agree with the others here and suggest GnuCash. I'm not using
the lastest version but it's very, very nice and easy to use. The
autocomplete works very well such that you can enter transaction very
quickly. It has a set of reports that are good. It can also keep track of
any shares you own.

> I am looking for something that is client/server, preferably
> with a postgresql backend that I can run on my server box and
> a client side I can run on my laptop. Multi-user would be good
> so that my wife and I can independently input transactions etc.
> Ability to reconcile accounts etc. would be an advantage.

As other people point out, there is postgresql support though I don't know
well it works. Reconciling is supported also.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/