sound card wanted

Anthony Wesley awesley at acquerra.com.au
Wed Oct 9 17:40:08 EST 2002

Just a quick off-topic plea... If anyone has a PCI sound card using the
C-Media CM8738-6ch-MX chip then I'd be interested in buying it from them
- they sell new for about $50, and I'd be happy to pay that.

I'm building a Linux-based wireless PC jukebox to hold all my audio
CD's, and the C-Media chip is ideal for bit-perfect digital playback of
ripped audio tracks via its S/PDIF header. It is one of the few chips
that preserves the original PCM data, unlike other evil cards like the
SBLive etc which always resample their input signal - a process I call
QIGO (Quality-In, Garbage-Out).

The CM8738-6ch-MX chip is commonly found in motherboards from ASUS (and
maybe others) but I don't want to spend $200+ on a motherboard just to
get hold of a $10 sound chip :-)

Replies direct to me plz - I'm not subscribed to the list.

cheers, Anthony

awesley at acquerra.com.au