RedHat 7.3 CD's - The latest

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 16:42:28 EST 2002

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 16:28, Bob Edwards wrote:
> For the record, I have the _real_ RH7.3 CDs, as well as ISOs downloaded
> from mirror.aarnet.edu.au. I have not seen these lower quality CDs being
> sold through various newsagencies around Canberra, but have heard a number
> of horror stories.
>
> I have "upgraded" quite a few systems from RH7.2 to RH7.3 with no problems
> at all on any of the CDs.
>
> I did have one problem on a RH7.1 upgrade to RH7.3 where the installed
> htdig RPM did not want to be upgraded. In the end, I had to perform the
> upgrade with this one package de-selected from the list and it all went OK.
> I think it was a one-off on that particular machine. I could subsequently
> upgrade that RPM with no problems.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards.

It's a weird one that's for sure. I've used these CD's on a number of other
boxes with no problems. RedHat 7.2 and RedHat 8.0 are more than happy to
install on this box (Just tried 8.0 then).

I'm stumped on this one really. It doesn't matter much as I don't particulary
want 7.3 on this box, but it was bugging me. I haven't really got the time or
inclination to figure it out though.

Oringinally I posted about the CD's to add my experience with 7.3 installs
after reading about dodgy magazine CD's. I thought I'd have it sorted out and
could tell everyone how wonderful I am. ;-) Things just didn't go to plan.
Then it started to bug me. Now, I don't really care anymore as I was only
doing it to try sort out a SCSI issue which I haven't quite resolved yet.

What is bothering me is PCI conflicts with my SCSI card and onboard SIS
graphics adapter. That's another story though...

Cheers all
Paul.