Playing audio CDs under Redhat 7.3

Rob Bolin rbolin at webone.com.au
Mon Oct 7 20:02:00 EST 2002

I'm stumped. I want to listen to audio CDs (and use grip to make my own
"jukebox" of favourite tunes) but I can't get a note out of the thing!
I've tried to RTFM, or at least search the 'net for a solution, except
that everything I've come across either suggests connecting the CD to
the sound card directly (that ain't gonna happen!) or the page says a
solution is possible without actually saying what the solution is...

The DVDrom works perfectly reading and writing data to and from CDs, and
the audio system works (plays wavs and mp3s without problem). When I
insert an audio CD, the system obviously recognises it, and starts gtcd.
I can also access the CD through XMMS. But in both cases, the CD
supposedly starts playing however there is nothing coming from the
speakers.

Does someone out there have a clue for the obviously clueless?

Rob