Spreading the (Linux) Word...

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Thu Oct 3 20:07:11 EST 2002

There is a Canberra Community Fund (CCF) that gives grants of up to
$5,000 to individuals & unincorporated bodies (like CLUG) and $50,000 to
incorporated bodies like AUUG.
Closing date for this years 1st round is 25th October.  There should be
a 2nd round in 6 months.  Dont know how big the pot is...

Does anyone have any good ideas they'd like to put up?  I'd be happy to
help in preparing a grant submission :-)

For $5,000 a lot of Linux CD's & install/use note could be created [the
CLUG distro?]
==> and given to schools & volunteer orgs

For $10-50,000 a lot of older PC's could be remanufactured into both
firewalls & useful servers for schools and volunteer organisations,
[maybe even desktops loaded with ...]
OR (if it hasn't been done before) run a reasonable webhosting service
for small volunteer orgs around the region.

Comments?

cheers
sj

NOTE: I have no involvement with the CCF (saw the website just today)

====
http://www.act.gov.au/cmd/ccf/

"What sort of projects are supported?"

Favourable consideration will be given to projects and activities that
seek to improve and enhance:

*     participation from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
*     status of women in the ACT;
*     cultural and linguistic diversity;
*     community education outcomes;
*     environmental sustainability;
*     community health;
*     sport and recreational opportunities (particularly for the
disadvantaged); and
*     participation in volunteering activities.

******* My suggestion for LINUX input ******

--
--------
Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin