Switching from CD-RW to CD without kernel reboot

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Sat Nov 30 12:10:32 EST 2002

Hi Peoples,

I'm a little bit lazy, so will ask here before searching ....

I am running RH7.2 but with a 2.4.19 kernel.org kernel with an IDE CD-RW
attached.

What I want to do is to burn CD-RW's for backup or just read off the CD. Is
there a simple way to configure the kernel to be able to switch between
burning cd's (cdrecord etc) and just reading CD's WITHOUT having to reboot
the kernel (at present I boot a kernel - lilo.conf/grub.conf with a parameter
"hdc=ide-scsi" if I want to burn CD's or with this if I just want to mount a
CD)

Thanks in advance

Burn