Bandwidth over many interfaces

James McNeill james at heague.com.au
Tue Nov 26 14:24:09 EST 2002

William HeagueHi all.
Has anyone had any luck spreading network loads over many interfaces to increase bandwidth?
what I mean is, say I wanna stick 5 100mb NICs in a box 'cos I can't afford gigabit ethernet, and run them all to the same switch. Then I do something crazy like route every 2nd packet down the 2nd interface, every 3rd packet down the 3rd interface etc.
responses to the packet would come back down the interface they were sent, and reassembled in order once collected on the box. Latency might suck, but it'd at least share the load a bit.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this as well, and people must have tried before. Any suggestions?

-James