Adapting Control Keys for ex-mac users

Michael James michael at james.st
Mon Nov 25 09:23:36 EST 2002

A simple and enduring plus for the Macintosh
 is that Control and Command keys have always been distinct.

In ANY application ^C means just that,
 type an ascii control-C,
 deliver it within the text stream I'm typing.
If that makes no sense, ignore it.

So in a terminal emulating program it sends ^C to the far end.

To signal to the local application itself, "I want to copy something"
 you type Command-C, (on a PC keyboard it's Alt-C).

So it's simple:
Control Key -> ascii control characters, or ignored
Command Key -> out of band communication with local application.

Unfortunately Linux suffers from it's PC heritage
 and different applications behave differently.

Unfortunately my fingers are conditioned to hit Alt-C to copy,
 or Alt-N for a new whatever, or Alt-S to save it.

Anyone know of a level of key-mapping that will untangle this?
Feed applications with an unambiguous,
 "He wants to copy", "He really wants an ascii ^N here"?

Without much hope,
michaelj

Michael James				michael at james.st
Network Programmer			voice:	02 6246 5040