Examples of 'dpkg --get-selection > packagesinstalled.txt' for firewall

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Nov 25 09:17:36 EST 2002

Robert Thorsby wrote:
> On 2002.11.24 23:55 Daniel wrote:
>> looking at the Firewall as the smallest install and
>> most important with no-X and running iptables ....

> A good place to start might be floppyfw
> http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/

Every time I look at things like one-floppy boot systems, they always
miss something that I want.  So I end up going for a minimal
installation of some bigger distribution.

I have an ADSL router running Debian Woody, and I've trimmed it down to
119 packages installed (about 153MB used). I was hoping to trim it down
further to fit it all onto a 128MB CF, but then I'd have to lose stuff
like NTP and OpenVPN (and that would only save me about 1MB all up).

To cut it down further, I'll have to do stuff like:
  - remove editors (use scp to copy files to a remote
    machine, edit them there, then scp back)
  - remove /usr/share/doc (though I'm sure this will
    break packages)
  - remove unused locales (could save about 8MB)

I'm not sure how much other stuff I can remove without breaking things -
for example, replacing bash with sash would break all the scripts on the
box. Thus I'm stuck with stuff like libncurses5. There's other stuff
like diff that I could probably remove if I knew exactly which bits and
pieces use it (eg: the setuid tracking stuff).

Alex