Examples of 'dpkg --get-selection > packagesinstalled.txt' for firewall

Robert Thorsby robert at thorsby.com.au
Mon Nov 25 08:22:04 EST 2002

On 2002.11.24 23:55 Daniel wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone can help me please:
> on Debian Woody
> looking at the Firewall as the smallest install and
> most important with no-X and running iptables ....
>
> If I run
> dpkg --get-selection > packagesinstalled.txt
>
> Is there somewhere I can examples of classic package
> selections for firewalls on the net so I can look through
> to see if any of my packages stand out as unnecessary?

A good place to start might be floppyfw
http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/

 From memory, it is based on Debian and fits onto a 1.44MB floppy,
although they also produce a fattened version that requires a 1.68MB
floppy and a fully bloated job that uses about 3.5MB on a CDROM.

Requires a 486 with 8MB RAM (no HDD) although if you intend to run more
than about 20 users through it you should upgrade to a P1 with >= 24MB
RAM.

If you can trim the cruft from floppyfw I'm sure they will ask you to
join the development team :-)

HTH,
Robert Thorsby