Available for testing: patchtrack

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Nov 24 10:14:36 EST 2002

Hey all,

I was talking to Stephen Rothwell the other day, and he expressed a desire
to be able to be notified of when a given file in the kernel source had
had a patch for it submitted. I've been thinking about this, and it isn't
too bad a problem to solve. The result is patchtrack 0.1:

patchtrack parses email from various mailling lists (currently only lkml,
kernel-janitor, and usb-devel), and attempts to determine which emails
contain patches, and which files those patches are for. It then sends a
copy of the email to all the people who have "subscribed" to that file.

patchtrack currently is known to fail to detect:
 - patches in mime attachments
 - bitkeeper pull urls

It pretty much works for everything else. It did sucessully find 302
patches in the last week's worth of email. patchtrack can correctly part
diff command line arguements, which makes it a lot more reliable.

Anyway, I am announcing this here because I was hoping for a few people to
volunteer to test it a little before I go more public. It is currently
hanging off my sparc 10 at home, so I am also hoping not to hammer my ADSL
feed too much.

How do you use it?

subscribe <filename> <email>

So for example:

subscribe arch/i386/kernel/apm.c foobar at stillhq.com

How do I stop using it?

How do I know what I have subscribed to?
written, and are manually processed, so please be gentle... I will be
playing with these sometime soon.

Anyway, so if you have comments, or would like to give it a try, let me
know.

Cheers,
Mikal

--