SWAT??

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 22 13:00:08 EST 2002

On Friday 22 November 2002 12:29, Michael Fakaro wrote:
> I am using Red HAt 8 and can't get SWAT to start
>
> I bought the Red Hat 8 book followed the instructions,
>
> edited both /etc/services and /etc/xinetd.d/swat
>
> I still get the error message "connection was refused when attempting to
> contact localhost:901"
>
> I did restart xinetd and servers, I'm stumped!!
>
> Any help is really appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

Have you got a firewall running?

The best way to check if your firewall is blocking the connection is to
temporarily disable it. Type lsmod to see if ipchains or itables is loaded.
Then type "/etc/init.d/iptables stop" or "/etc/init.d/ipchains stop"
depending on which was loaded. Try and connect again.

Also, you may need to configure the service in /etc/hosts.allow if swat uses
tcp wrappers. Again, just for testing you could add the line "ALL: ALL". This
is just for testing and you should change it to a more appropriate setting.

Read the man page for hosts_access for more info on this one.

Hope that helps a bit.

Paul.