Compact Flash File System?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Nov 15 17:56:30 EST 2002

A guy at work mentioned a "compact flash file system" today - something
about only writing to new portions of the CF "disk" rather than
overwriting old cells.  The idea being that the "wear" on the Flash
memory is spread over the whole "disk" instead of the same few million
bits at the beginning of the volume.

I tried to Google for "compact flash file system" and "compact flash
filesystem" and "cffs", but I couldn't find anything about a specific
file system for compact flash except one tease: an extract from an
(obviously long) argument between two or three people about the validity
or purity of writing a special file system to cater for CF media - and
that was back in 2000 (the argument at the time being that unlike the
F00F bug, Compact Flash would disappear quickly).

Does anybody know where I can find some references or even sample
drivers?

Alex