FW: 100% of yesterday's second sealed

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Fri Nov 15 00:26:31 EST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: mailman at crikey.com.au [mailto:mailman at crikey.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 November 2002 10:04 PM
To: richard_c at tpg.com.au
Subject: 100% of yesterday's second sealed

<snip>

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002, 3pm

<snip>
11. Conditional Computer Donations

<snip>

11. CONDITIONAL COMPUTER DONATIONS

Subscriber Adrian writes:

"Bill Gates' donation of $100 million dollars to India wouldn't have
anything to
do with the Indian government's good idea to take up open-source software
would
it?  Surely not.  Surely Bill Gates would never cheapen his philanthropic
work
by attaching conditions that benefited his business interests!

But you know what? I don't think they'll take the bait. Like all good
governments should be doing they are attempting to release themselves from
the
grip of over-priced proprietary software.

What is the Australian government doing to stop our tax dollars going
overseas
by using open-source software and using the savings to hire local talent to
maintain and modify it?

The benefits are well-researched.  Are there any departments that are doing
this?

Adrian"
<snip>

If anyone can come up with some examples please forward them on to
crikey at crikey.com.au (CC the list at least for my own edification please).

Not only that, but at least sign up for an excellent daily e-mail or two on
the state of the nation at www.crikey.com.au

Richard

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
- Find yourself a bargain!