Monitoring my cpu temperatures

Rob Weir rweir at softhome.net
Wed Nov 13 22:29:37 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 09:00:50AM +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>  Given that we are likely to face a hot summer,  I thought about
>  installing an applet that shows CPU temperatures etc.  It sent me off
>  to a program called lm_sensors; I appear to have the relevant
>  documentation installed but no evidence of the program (my box is
>  running RH 7.1). Nor do I know whether I have the needed hardware.
>
> Head bloody but unbowed, I tracked down info on lm_sensors and ended up
> with yards of choices on:
>
>         http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/archive/
>
> So which package(s) do I select - given that my kernel (almost as geriatric
> as I and my hardware) is 2.4.2?
>
> Since the maintainers of the archive have declined to respond to this
> query, perhaps one of the many CLUG whizzes will take pity on me.
>
> And please note - you are trying to explain things to a geriatric amateur.

It's been a long time since I did a non-Debian kernel compile, but give
this a go:
* get your 2.4.2 kernel source and inter it somewhere.  untar the
  lm-sensors tarball somewhere else.  read the README in lm-sensors and
* see what it says to do to configure
  itself.
* make && make install in the lm-sensors dir and it'll install the
  kernel modules for you.
* run the detection script that comes with to find out what, if any
  sensor hardware you have.  Most motherboards from the past few years
  will have some sort of sensors...
* install some userland apps like sensord, ksensors, wmsensors, etc.
* write back and flame me when these instructions fail :)

-rob