Samba and Windows 2000

António Jorge S. Tavares ajstavares at sapo.pt
Wed Nov 13 20:20:49 EST 2002

Hi,
   I have two computers connected to each other (using a crossed cable), one running
Windows 2000 and the other RedHat Linux 8.0.

   I installed, configured (users and all) and started Samba, to share some folders on
the Linux machine, and tryed to find the computer on the Windows machine, it showed up
on my Network Neighberhood with the name and comments that I defined on the smb.conf
file, so I thought "great, its done". No, not done!!! The problem is when I try to
access the computer ("\\<server>"), it takes some time, and then it tells me "Network
path not found".

   I tryed and added each computer name to the others "hosts" file, didn't work.

   Then, I confirmed if smbd and nmbd deamons are running - they are, so I looked at
the output of tcpdump, and it seems that the broadcast is recognized when I try to
connect from Windows machine.
   Is there something else to configure regarding the network? What can be happening?

   Thanks in advance, regards,

   A. Jorge Tavares