linux digest, Vol 1 #999 - 2 msgs

Rodney Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Tue Nov 12 22:40:39 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 04:00, you wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:09:51 +1100
> From: Robert Cohen <robert at apex.net.au>
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
> Subject: USB modem with Redhat 7.3
>
> Hi, is anyone using a USB modem with linux generally or with Redhat 7.3
> specifically.
>
> I bought a netcomm Rave USB modem.
> Yeah, normally I would use a serial modem. But the machine only has 1
> serial port and I need that for talking to my Tivo.
>
> The modem appears to be recognised at some level by the kernel.
> I get the following messages
>
> Nov 12 09:54:40 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod
> 0x483/0x7554) is not claimed by any active driver.
> Nov 12 09:54:56 localhost /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup acm CDCEther for
> USB product 483/7554/200
>
> in /var/log/messages. And from what I have found on the net the acm
> module is the correct one for a USB modem.
> Documentation appears to indicate that I should talk to the modem at
> /dev/usb/ttyACM0.
> I didnt have such a device but I created it with mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM0
> c 166 0
>
> But I can't open that device sucessfully.

Everythinglinux www.everythinglinux.com.au sell a few Linux compatible
modems.  The much more expensive Netcomm Roadster USB is in this category
(however, I am not certain that it is full hardware).  If a couple of hundred
$ for 56kb/s does not grab you, then you could consider their IN5699 PCI
internal, semi-hardware, modem.  Don't know whether Everythinglinux provide
the driver, but you can get it from www.heby.de

Better option, perhaps, is to throw together a firewall box out of whatever
Pentium 1 stuff you have and use the serial port on that.

Rod