ADSL with USB

Joel Pearson pearj at writeme.com
Mon Nov 11 22:53:51 EST 2002

AVOID USB MODEMS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

Especially the dlink one.  I use Iprimus ADSL and I eventually had to
swap the dlink usb modem for an Ethernet one.  The drivers out there are
very primitive usermode ones. My longest time for staying connected was
about 10 mins.  Then it might take 30 mins till I could get the USB
modem to sync again. I may have had a dodgy usb modem, but it seemed a
lot better in Windows.
Part of the reason may have been that the dlink usb modem wasn't
supported directly by the drivers, it was just said that it had the same
chipset and *should* work.

Go out and spend the extra $100 or so on an Ethernet modem, it will save
you much stress.  Plus Ethernet modems have been around for ages and
their support is much, much better.

Joel

Joel Pearson
Email: pearj at writeme.com