Quiet PC's

Scudette scudette at reapoff.no-ip.com
Sat Nov 9 16:29:29 EST 2002

I had quite good experience with getting the fans to run from the 5 volt rail
rathen than the 12v - you only need to make sure the fan actually starts well
- but it runs quite smoothly. Basically cut the wires from the fan and plug
them between the red and black wires on an ide power connector. The fan runs
much slower but should help keep things moving so if the machine is not doing
much (e.g. a firewall) it should be ok. Thats how my firewall operates and
its absolutely silent (quite hard to get used to a silent machine actually
cause you always think its off).

If thats not enough you might be able to get a bigger hit sink too for the
power supply.

You can get rid of the CPU fan if you underclock the chip - for example get an
AMD chip (say 1.6Ghz) and unlock the multiplier and run it say at half speed
- should not need a fan even at full load. Again if your firewall is not
doing much it probably wont need a fan even at full speed.