linux in government

Rob Weir rweir at softhome.net
Sat Nov 9 08:36:32 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 09:37:56AM +1100, Doug.Palmer at csiro.au wrote:
> had used Word, since the extra effort would have killed it. With LaTeX/PDF
> having decent collaboration tools, it would be an absolute killer app for
> people producing large, complex, write/comment style documents.

CVS/Emacs/EDiff?  It would get the job done, no idea how user friendly
it would be.  Also, have you had a look at LyX (www.lyx.org)?  It's
basically a perty front end to LaTeX (and DocBook, I think) that lets
you just type away, selecting the LaTeX styles for each block of text as
you go.  It's not WYSIWYG, but it's close enough.  It also has built in
RCS support and, IIRC, annotation support.  It's been a while since I
last used it tho, so YMMV.

-rob