Potato->woody upgrade fails

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Nov 8 16:16:35 EST 2002

Gary Woodman wrote:
> Dselect has worked well for me in the past, however, I'm happy to use
> apt-get if it does the job. But I expected that upgrading the whole
> distribution would produce the most complex ...

dselect has never worked well for me, ever.  I hate it with a vengeance.
  It's slow, ugly and dumb.

I started my Debian experience with Potato, upgraded to Woody and now to
Sid, using only the apt tools.  Works for me.

Worst thing is that apt and dselect can never agree on what's
installed/removed/on hold.  I've always had to do an apt-get
update/upgrade immediately after a dselect operation, to prevent things
being truly broken.

Alex