Backing up to DVDs

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 15:57:06 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:46, Damien Elmes wrote:
> I'd rather invest a bit of my time to work out what does need to be backed
> up rather than invest a bit of my money on extra CDs to house all the
> non-relevant stuff. It just pays to be careful when determining what needs
> to be backed up. Of course, refraining from modifying files in /usr/bin is
> going to help you out there, too.

I think there's another important point there. Keeping track of what your
doing with your systems. Like Damien said, refrain from modifying /usr/bin.
Install things into /usr/local and back that up.

Sometimes, the life of a sys admin can get complicated, but trying to follow
best practices saves you a lot of headache in the future.

Just my $0.02

Paul.