Potato->woody upgrade fails

Gary Woodman antigramp at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 8 11:14:33 EST 2002

I finally set to upgrade my main home machine from potato. I reviewed
my sources.list, ran dselect, downloaded all the new control
information, downloaded the 150 meg of updates, then near the beginning
of dselect's Install, I see the following:

Can't call method "template" on an undefined value at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Question.pm line 251, <GEN19> chunk 3.
E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt returned an error
 code (3)
E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the
errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall
again
Press enter to continue.

I'm assuming there is a problem with the control information on my
machine, some "undefined value" in the global database or some package
info. It's difficult to believe that I'm the only person suffering from
a gross bug in /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Question.pm.

It's no big deal to reinstall woody from scratch, but I expected more
from Debian. Does anyone have a clue what's happening here? Any
suggestions as to how I can proceed with the upgrade?

Gary