[Q] (Slightly OT) KVM Over CAT5 or Other....

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 6 20:40:08 EST 2002

Donovan J. Edye wrote:
> G'Day,
>

>>The hard drive I've got in my desktop PC is so quiet
>
> Agreed. Also if you want to store something on the machine then netbooting
> only gets you so far. ;-) No point trying to play MP3's over a network.
> *grin*

This is precisely what I do and have been doing for about 4 years (since I
wired my house for Cat 5.) I have a file-server in the cupboard under the
stairs and use NFS to serve my entire (completely legal) collection of 300 CDs
  ripped onto MP3 to several diskless devices scattered around the house.
Playing MP3s was a primary reason to wire the house and to get into diskless
Linux devices. One of the main uses of my XBox is to play MP3s served up from
the NFS server under the stairs (it's not diskless, though).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.