(sec: unclas) Surviving in a DOC infested world

Frank Ranner Frank.Ranner at defence.gov.au
Wed Nov 6 13:26:43 EST 2002

Michael James wrote:

> How do you experienced Linux desktoppers deal with Word documents?
>
> I haven't had a particularly brilliant introduction.
>
> Word document arrives on my brand new linux desktop in with orders,
>  "Review this and sign off by 2".
>
> The word that generated it was recent, Office 2000 or XP.
>
> Fired up OpenOffice,
>  didn't think running off the net would work for a standalone workstation,
>  couldn't figure why I needed 200Meg of files dumped in my home dir either
>  but what the heck, loaded them up.
> Opened doc, OO declairs an irremedial error
>  and segfaults itself out of existence.
> Try again, same problem. Don't have another (gentler) doc.

You can install OO so it goes into its own directory with just user
specific
files in the home directory.

I have found with StarOffice that crashes on opening a document are
often
caused by printer settings. If there is no printer configured you can
get
problems as the software try to render the document according to the
printer
capabilities.

regards
Frank Ranner                             frank.ranner at defence.gov.au