On software quality and engineering

Doug.Palmer at csiro.au Doug.Palmer at csiro.au
Mon Nov 4 10:06:05 EST 2002

> UML is only good for creating pretty pictures to show to
> managers. All other
> uses should be avoided.

That's a little unfair. It's a good communication tool for communicating
with other programmers, where what you want to get across is the overview of
an idea. It's also pretty good for informal specifications. I'd prefer to
come to a program and have some of the significant design sketched out in
UML than to have the usual "read the source code, it's all there".

> UML is too ambiguous and cannot
> provide a complete
> specification, especially for real time systems.

Now that's perfectly true.