On software quality and engineering

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Sat Nov 2 17:12:44 EST 2002

Simon Fowler wrote: [[Sat, 2 Nov 2002 10:42:35 +1100]]

> I think the difference with software is that it's not like a
> physical system - it doesn't wear out over time, it doesn't have an
> inevitable failure at some point in the future, even if it's perfect
> now. Software is either correct or it's not correct.

Software _does_ wear out over time.  The term is 'bit rot'.
This is what Y2K was about.

Classes of bug/'defect' fixes:
- corrective [fix faulty operation.  Doesnt meet a specification item]
- perfective [adding a feature]
- adaptive   [adapting to a changed environment.  Could be legistation, new O/S,
...]

cheers
sj

--