Link to ACCC material on Customer protections/rights

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Sat Nov 2 07:06:27 EST 2002

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steve Jenkin wrote:

> The ACCC have a good website.  I found this page very relevant to the thread on
> 'implied' Software Warranties
>
> http://www.accc.gov.au/smallbus/best_fairest/BF_module_08.htm

I see the TPA being irrelevant wrt software:

Sec 69

"The supplier must be able to give the buyer clear title (that is, the
absolute right to own the product, without fear of a previous owner
claiming it as theirs)."

I don't know of any software, certainly no operating system software that
provides "clear title"; it's always "licenced".  Even the BSD licence is
still a licence.

Also the TPA does not apply if "they [the goods or services] must not be
used up in commercial production or in repairing other goods."  So using
any software for production of other siftware precludes the TPA.

but then IANAL :)

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people