windows emulation?

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed May 29 12:21:18 EST 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:01:02AM +1000, Peter Barker wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2002, David Gibson wrote:
>
> > > i was wondering what the best windows emulator was for Linux? From my
>
> > Neither vmware nor wine will run on PPC since both rely on the
> > processor being able to run (most of) the x86 Windows code.  The only
> > thing you could use for this is Bochs, which is a full PC emulator.
> > That will be *very* slow.
>
> He just said he wanted to run Windows - and you point out it's going to be
> slow?

Yes, but this way you get the slowness of emulation and then the
slowness of Windows on top of that.  Which doesn't really bear
thinking about.

> BTW, I'd suggest plex86 - which is the Open Source equivalent of Bochs -
> heavily contributed to by the author of Bochs.

Um, not quite.  Bochs has actually been GPLed now, although it used to
be non-free.  plex86 aims to be a vmware clone, and as such won't work
on PPC (actually I think it can do full emulation as well as
virtualization, but it will then be essentially equivalent to Bochs).
It also borrows a lot of code from Bochs for the device emulation.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson