linux ps2 kits

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue May 28 23:21:19 EST 2002

I saw one up and running and they're pretty nifty. I kicked off an argument
between the Sony rep and an Gamecube developer (I forget the game)...
Basically they were saying that the PS2 has a wimpy CPU, and two
co-processors. The rep said she was pretty sure PS2 Linux doesn't hit the
co-processors - leaving you with a wimpy box.

Somebody benchmarked it using some tool or other; but I'm not sure how it
came down (I saw the numbers but they didn't stick in my head as
meaningful). I raised the question of whether the co-processors could be
used for other stuff than floating-point and drew a 'maybe...'. I guess some
energetic person may figure out how to use the co-processors - apparently
the only bit they haven't released doco for is the IO interface (to make
piracy harder). I guess you could bastardise the SMP code for the task.

If people are going to tinker with IO; I figure they'll also head for
whatever Sony have added to the drive (standard IDE + "something").

Apparently the call for Linux on PS2 has been pretty quiet relative to the
vocal demands from the Japanese market. The Sony rep basically said that
Linux is doing very well in Japan and Microsoft never really got a firm hold
there. By her account Linux is something of a phenomenon in Japan.

Just more inane ramblings.

Richard