Good ethernet NIC for linux

Tredeau, Peter ptredeau at crossbeamsys.com
Thu May 23 23:33:24 EST 2002

What about a PCMCIA card ?

-Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Hawkins [mailto:matt at mh.dropbear.id.au]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 9:51 PM
To: linux at samba.org
Subject: Re: Good ethernet NIC for linux

Saul Thurrowgood (saul at cvs.anu.edu.au) wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for the most reliable NIC/linux driver pair?

Intel Etherexpress Pro

Can't be all that bad if Linus uses it ;)

Seriously, I've used one before and as far as I know the server it is in
is still going strong 4 years later.  It comes in all sorts of different
models, some are the basic 10/100 and others have nifty SNMP management
stuff built in.  Obviously the price increases by leaps & bounds the
more options you get.

Another fairly decent card is the DE-530 which you can get from Page
Data in Fyshwyck for about the same price DE500's (tulip) were.  I've
never had problems with any D-Link card purchased from them.  It uses
the via-rhine driver iirc.

--
Matt