Clusters (was CLUG meeting 23 May 2002)

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Wed May 22 21:54:12 EST 2002

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 22/05/02, 21:43:00, "Richard Cottrill" <richard_c at tpg.com.au> wrote
regarding Clusters (was CLUG meeting 23 May 2002):

> > Same as Matt I have not been able to attend for a while now.  If anyone
> > is interested (and I can make it) then I could talk about my experience
> > in setting up a Linux/mosix cluster with failover for web hosting.

> I won't be able to make to any meetings for the foreseeable future; but I
am
> curious about how well this sort of thing works. The OpenMosix web site
> suggests it's not really suitable for shared memory applications
> (specifically citing web servers).
You right that at this stage it does not handle shared memory threads but
that will change in the future.  The main benefits that it has given me
is that if the main server is too busy and I want to SSH to the box then
mosix will kick in and move my login to another box (transparently) and I
can run some of the processes on the other mosix clustered boxes to help
share the load.  It also provides quite a secure method for sharing the
disks over the network using MFS (mosix file system) which makes it
easier for rsyncing between machines and other things.