Dynamic DNS and domain registration

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue May 21 22:09:39 EST 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> Firstly, is it possible to host mail with a dynamic dns?  I've got the
> impression that mail exchangers do some reverse lookup thing.  Would the fact
> that my ip address would resolve back to 'somehost.webone.com.au' and not
> 'mail.mydomain.net' be a problem?  (Or at least, this is what I understand
> would happen.)

Yeppo. Dyndns.org allows you to have an MX record for your domain. These
work by someone wanting to send mail to stillhq.com looking up my domain
MX record and getting an IP address. They then connect to this IP, and
deliver the mail. My MX record resolves to my ISP, and there is no problem
with this, as long as they have agreed to accept mail for stillhq.com

> A friend has recommended ChangeIP.com, and it looks I can do both domain
> registration and dynamic dns with them for US$21 the first year, US$39 per
> year (US$15 for the domain, US$24 for the dynamic DNS service).

Dyndns.org's free options are fine.

Cheers,
Mikal

--