Minimal linux distro for underpowered machine

Pietro Abate abate at discus.anu.edu.au
Tue May 21 12:11:14 EST 2002

Hi,

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:28:30AM +1000, Ben.Westgarth at facs.gov.au wrote:
> to be able to do so, but before I tie up the phone line for a couple
> of days I thought I'd quickly canvas the list for any other
> suggestions.

I think almost any modern distributions can fit well in a 540Mb hd.  I
would suggest debian, but it depends by your preferencies.  I would also
suggest you to use a custom 2.0 or 2.2 kernel. I have noticed that old
kernel performs better with old hw. In my opinion other distributions
(than RH, debian, suse, etc) avalaible on the net are less versatile for
normal use, and more tailored for specific use, i.e. router, firewall,
proxy server, xterminal, and so on...

hope this helps.