Help please!

Stephen Hodgman steve at namsys.com.au
Mon May 20 14:04:01 EST 2002

I have a system with an IDE drive with bootable Debian potato on it. (/dev/hda).
this disk works fine and I can boot OK.
I have a SCSI disk /dev/sda which has Potato on it also.  However when I make the
scsi disk the boot disk I get "LIL-" and nothing.  Doco suggests running lilo to fix it but
I am getting nowhere with that.  This is what I am doing:

1. Boot off /dev/hda and then mount /dev/sda partitions on mnt as:
/dev/sda3  /mnt
/dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
/dev/sda5 /mnt/usr
/dev/sda6 /mnt/var

I can then "chroot /mnt" and everything works OK so  I can build kernels (bzImage)
and then install them with "make install".  this results in /vmlinuz -> /boot/vmlinuz-
2.2.19

I then run lilo with lilo.conf configured as:
lba32
boot = /dev/sda
root = /dev/sda3
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=20
vga=normal
default=Linux
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional

I then reboot, change the scsi disk to be the first boot device and get "LIL-"
Now, I had this working last week (Grr...)
What stupid thing have I done please?  thanks.
---

Stephen Hodgman               steve at namsys.com.au
Namadgi Systems                Ph. +61 2 6285 3460
Canberra                       Fax +61 2 6285 3459
Australia