Keen for a Linux server!

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Fri May 17 17:25:14 EST 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 4:36 pm, Scott Oates wrote:
> Hi All,
> Alex Pollard mentioned I should talk to you ;o)
>
> I work in the ACT/Australian/Global Greens Office.
> Located on the 3rd Floor, Center Cinema Building, Bunda St, Canberra
>
> I would dearly love some advice and possible assistance in setting up a
> Linux server for the office.
> Reasons include:
> It would allow me to network Macs and PCs
> It is more stable and effective
> If I get Transact it could be used as a firewall etc.
>
> And I'm sure you would know many more.
>
> I am also seriously hardware impaired with a very minimal budget.
> Particularly I am deficient in CPU power and Ram. but really all the
> technology is very out of date hand me downs and seriously impairs the
> performance of the office.
>
> So if you know where I could pick up some free/cheap bits n pieces I would
> dearly love to know.
>
> Best wishes,
> Scott Oates

I know this is very late into the conversation, but I have been offline for
several weeks as I have just moved house and had to wait for TransACT to
install my phone and internet connection.

If you have not already settled on someting, for a very easy to install and
manage solution, I would suggest Mitel's SME server (aka e-smith).  See
http://www.e-smith.com and http://www.e-smith.org.  It is simple to install
and basically all management can be done by a clear and simple web interface.
 All the stuff to talk to Macs and PCs is already done.  Unless you have a
Linux expert around, I would highly recommend it as a turnkey solution.  It
will run well on low powered hardware.

It comes in two versions - GPL and a supported (by Mitel) 'service link'
version.  There is also commercial support available for the GPL version. One
such vendor is http://myezserver.com/.

Contact me offlist for more info.  We use it at work (Australian Ethical
Investment Ltd) for over 30 staff, and it works very well.

Rasjid.