newbie X config question

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed May 15 16:30:22 EST 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Michael Dunn wrote:

> I'm struggling to get X to function properly on my laptop (a cheapo

[snip]

Laptop screens tend to only run with the exact mode line required. This is
because LCD screens can't sync to whatever you asked for like a normal
CRT.

> > Fatal server error:
> > no screens found

This means you specified a mode line for the screen (probably), which
didn't meet it's physical characteristics, so it was disgarded. There was
therefore no screen to display on.

Your best bets are:
 - do a google search for your model laptop looking for someone's x
config
 - checkout the screen information coming out of x when it starts, and
make an educated guess
 - come to CLUG next week and bring the laptop...

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+10hrs