Gmane

Karun skippy_kangaroo at ausi.com
Sun May 12 10:57:26 EST 2002

"Jan-Yun Lou" <loujanyun at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20020512002439.55869.qmail at web13301.mail.yahoo.com...
> Hi
>
> I'll assume that you are the administrator of this ML?
>  This is just my opinion, but it might have been
> better to ask people their opinions about being added
> to gmane before doing so as it does seem a potential
> spam-trap (I say potential because the gmane people do
> seeming to be trying to cut spam).  Whilst gmane seems
> to have gotten how to stop spammers from spamming the
> actual MLs,  there doesn't seem to be anything
> stopping them from harvesting email addresses via
> bots.  I was wondering if you could provide more
> information on this?
>
> Another thing, do all messages posted on the ML
> automatically get feeded into the newsgroup version,
> or is it posssible to post to the ML, but not to the
> newsgroup?
>
> BTW, I'm not very familiar with news, so maybe someone
> can tell me the advantages of reading the list via
> news as opposed to via email (where I filter
> everything into one folder and thread the messages)?
>
> Pearl

Im not the administrator of the mailing list, however I am assisting with
the gmane project. Gmane is planning on using tmda so messages do not have
the complete email address when they choose to reply. Once this is
implemented or another similiar system, the sender of any message to an
email address listed on the newsgroup/mailing list is required to reply to a
message, before it is sent. This should prevent people harvesting email
addresses using bots. If theres any spammer on list, who knows how these
bots work, maybe they could send information, so an effective anti-spam
system can be implemented by the Gmane administrator.

Karun