Choke routing with linux

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Sat May 4 09:52:54 EST 2002

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 07:31:55AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I have a need for a linux box which "chokes" whilst routing. By this I
> mean that I want to allow a specifid amount of bandwidth through only (say
> 56k). It would also be good if I could use the setup to introduce latency
> as required.
>
> This would be used for testing client server app behaviour over WANs, so I
> need to be able to be slow, and have a high latency.
>
> Does anyone have any hints?

You should be able to do all of this using either iptables or the
QoS stuff in kernel 2.4, or both . . . I'm not sure /how/, but you
could start with the iptables HOWTOs, and the QoS HOWTO . . .

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or ftp://bg77.anu.edu.au/pub/himi/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://bg77.anu.edu.au