opening a file in perl

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed May 1 10:06:21 EST 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Nemo - earth native wrote:

I'm no guru, but here I go...

> ...except when the file being opened is the better part of 400meg,
> and so I get Out of Memory errors - the perl seems to wants to read the
> whole file into memory before looking at it at all.

I've done this with multiple GB files and had no problems...

> At the moment is opens the file as such:
> 	open( IN, "chunk.txt" ) or die "Hrm. Couldn't open the file./n";

Try doing an:
    open IN, "< chunk.txt";

Perhaps the semantics are different?

> And then just runs through line by line:
> 	foreach my $line ( <IN> )
> 	{
> (insert a few possible regexp matches in `if` statements here. simple stuff)
> 	}

Nothing scary here. What are you doing with the regexps? Your not storing
information in RAM as you do through the file?

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+10hrs