Linux Tools for rebuilding a FAT16 or FAT32 file system

Jeremy jepri at webone.com.au
Fri Mar 29 12:40:00 EST 2002

On 2002.03.29 11:30 Steve Jenkin wrote:
> Hope this isn't too off-topic...
>
> Can anyone point me to tools that can work with & rebuild FAT16 and
> FAT32 filesystems under Linux [any distro, I will install what I have
> to]?
>
> My nephew had his hard disk 'zapped' last November, the last night
> before his final assignments were due...  He was unable to recover the
> disk with the Norton's recovery disk he had made.  The Uni staff were
> unable as well.  Thought I might take a look :-)
>
> I suspect that whatever hit his disk changed the FAT table from FAT16
> [Win95] to FAT32 [Win98].  I want to take a copy and play with this
> idea.

Ummm.  If the FAT table was changed, you probably lost all the
information therein.  Which means that the clusters on the disk now
have no relation to each other, and your files are broken up into 4kb
chunks.  However you may be lucky.  If the files aren't fragmented you
might be able to do a 'strings /dev/hdxx' and start playing jigsaw
puzzles.