PPP server on RH7.2?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Mar 27 14:45:03 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 12:01:16PM +1100, Bob Edwards wrote:

> I have recently updated the machine of one of our staff here from RH7.1
> to RH7.2. He runs a dial-in modem server using an external modem,
> mgetty+sendfax and pppd.
>
> We have used exactly the same configuration files (/etc/mgetty+sendfax
> and /etc/ppp) as before, but the dial in service isn't working.
>
> I am not a modem user (never have been - never want to be), so I have
> little experience of where to look. It seems that mgetty is not starting
> the ppp daemon, but terminating the connection prematurely. This line
> appears in /var/log/messages:
>
> init chat failed, exiting...: Interrupted system call

What this message means (I beleive) is that mgetty tried to send an ATZ to
the modem and it didn't respond. The Interrupted system call comes from an
alarm() call. So, things to check:

1. Its using /dev/modem and the symlink doesn't point to the right place
2. Modem is not connected or port not configured

One way to try stuff out is to run minicom and verify you can type ATZ and
get a response and that when you call the modem is sends a RING message.

> The chat stuff appears to come from the mgetty daemon, and looks like
> it might be configured in /etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.conf, but this
> file is identical to before.
>
> Does anyone have RH7.2 set up as a dial-in modem server? Can you help
> out? I have searched on google, found many references to people having
> similar problems, but no-one has yet offered a clear solution.

None of this seems redhat specific. Mostly check you have the right modem
port, lsof can be helpful here. Are you running mgetty out of inittab or
standalone?

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/