PPP server on RH7.2?

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 27 12:01:16 EST 2002

I have recently updated the machine of one of our staff here from RH7.1
to RH7.2. He runs a dial-in modem server using an external modem,
mgetty+sendfax and pppd.

We have used exactly the same configuration files (/etc/mgetty+sendfax
and /etc/ppp) as before, but the dial in service isn't working.

I am not a modem user (never have been - never want to be), so I have
little experience of where to look. It seems that mgetty is not starting
the ppp daemon, but terminating the connection prematurely. This line
appears in /var/log/messages:

init chat failed, exiting...: Interrupted system call

The chat stuff appears to come from the mgetty daemon, and looks like
it might be configured in /etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.conf, but this
file is identical to before.

Does anyone have RH7.2 set up as a dial-in modem server? Can you help
out? I have searched on google, found many references to people having
similar problems, but no-one has yet offered a clear solution.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Edwards.