Finding what package has a missing file

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Mon Mar 25 13:51:25 EST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:30:25PM +1100, Michael James wrote:
> I'm more and more tempted by FreeBSD with its ports system,
>  full dependencies, automatic fetching, lists of sources,
>  everything locally compiled...

Or debian:

apt-get builddep apache   # Get any required dependacies
apt-get source apache     # Download and unpack source
# Make changes, whatever
debuild binary            # Build the packages

If you don't make any changes yourself:
apt-get source -b apache
will download, unpack, compile and make packages all in one step.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/