TransACT shared servers

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Mar 24 10:37:14 EST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 03:23:13AM +1100, Jeremy wrote:
> > Rather than use PPPoE, why not use PPTP?
>
> The main trouble with these plans is that you are not guaranteed the
> same IP numbers two connections in a row.  All the traditional services
> ( and I am thinking DNS-mediated in particular ) rely on a server
> having the same IP number(s) day in, day out.  Dynamic DNS is not a
> good solution, because it needs to be anchored by at least a few IP
> addresses, making it no different to any other server.

Well, all you need is one server that is static, possibly off the transact
network altogether. Not sure if you can setup dynamic dns so each person
updates their own automatically. The bigger problem would be, can squid et
al handle servers changing IP while they're running or do they need to be
restarted.

Is there a simple defined protocol for ip/mac/name/etc registration, like
H323 only not as complicated?

> Even if you got your servers up, you face the nearly impossible task of
> organising a network.

Something involving just squid would probably not be so difficult.

Has anyone actually verified if you can send stuff to other people without
being charged for it?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/